Lampard reveals family heartache

Go down

Lampard reveals family heartache

Post by sulehri on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

Chelsea's Frank Lampard has admitted he was not fully prepared either mentally or physically for the Champions League semi-final first leg against Liverpool.

The midfielder missed two Chelsea games last week to be at the hospital bedside of his mother, who has pneumonia.

"I have been in better shape for games both mentally and physically but it has been a very difficult week," he said.

"In terms of the game it was tough mentally but once the game started I just concentrated on the job."

Lampard said the outlook for his mum, Pat, had been "very bleak" at one stage.

She was admitted to hospital just over a week ago and the England international said only an improvement in her condition gave him the incentive to play at Anfield.

"I won't go into details but we were getting a very bleak outlook. That was the hardest moment for me in my life," he said.

"We got some decent news on Saturday afternoon and my head came round a little bit then. I made a decision to go to training on Sunday and see how I felt.

"My mum and dad follow me up and down the country and hopefully, all being well, my mum will come round and I know she would have had a right go at me for not playing in this game.

"That was in the back of my mind. She is stable at the minute and that gave me a bit of a clear mind to play but I will be back with her on Wednesday."

The midfielder did not have his best game in a Chelsea shirt as Avram Grant's men came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw in the first leg at Anfield.

Number of posts : 200
Favourite team : Manchester United
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down